SWAT take suspect into custody after chase ends at bait outlet

Lewisville SWAT team members took an explosive device into the building to breech the door of the bathroom where the suspect was hiding. (Photo by Steve Southwell)

By Leopold Knopp and Steve Southwell

Update 5/21: Suspect Johnathan Robert Reed was booked in Lewisville jail later in the afternoon after his arrest May 19. He’s been charged with criminal trespass, unauthorized use of a vehicle, unlicensed possession of a firearm by a felon and for evading arrest with a vehicle, with a combined bond of $28,500. Police Capt. Kendall Lynn said he’s since been transferred to Denton County Jail, and jail records indicate he is still in custody.

The firearm possession charge, which accounts for $10,000 of the total bail, is related to a 9 mm handgun that was stolen along with the truck. Lynn said Reed was unarmed when he was arrested. After the arrest, police inventoried the truck and discovered the handgun was still there.

According to documents from the Texas Department of Public Safety, Reed has an arrest record that dates back 10 years and includes two stints in prison in Huntsville.

April 16, 2007 in Hood County, he was arrested for criminal trespassing while in possession of less than a gram of a controlled substance. He would eventually plead guilty to both crimes in December 2008 and be sentenced to another year and 10 months in prison, but records show he had been in Huntsville since his initial arrest.

He was arrested again in January 2017 for a burglary committed Nov. 29, 2016 in Lubbock, a crime to which he would also plead guilty and be sentenced to another 12 months in Huntsville. His sentence expired Jan. 13.

Original story: A suspect is in custody after speeding away from police and barricading himself into the bathroom of the Live Bait Outlet on Mill Street and Valley Ridge in Lewisville, initiating a standoff that lasted much of the morning.

It started when police got a hit on the license plate of a red pick-up truck at the Select Inn on I-35E around 9 a.m. The truck had been stolen from Young County at 2 a.m. and the owner had reported that the vehicle had a handgun in it.

When police initially spotted the vehicle, the suspect was already in it. Police followed him down Degan Street and eventually attempted to pull him over when he went the wrong way down Main Street.

The driver sped away, leading officers on a 90 mph chase according to radio traffic. He eventually lead them to the outlet, bailing out on the truck and running into the building, into a bathroom there.  Once inside, he locked the door from the inside

Police already suspected he was armed, and upon searching the truck, did not find the handgun that was reported to be inside it when it was stolen, furthering their suspicions.

With Lewisville’s SWAT team and a negotiator on scene, police tried a handful of tactics to get the suspect out. They first went in with a remote-controlled robot to scout out his hiding hole, but were unable to get into the bathroom with it. Then they detonated two CS gas powder devices in an attempt to smoke him out while also verbally commanding him over the loudspeaker to walk out with his hands up.

About 11:30 a.m., the SWAT team used a small explosive charge to open the bathroom door and took the suspect into custody soon afterward.

Captain Mike Moore said that no shots were fired in the incident, and that everything went “by the book.”

Moore identified the suspect as 30-year-old Jonathan Robert Reed, and said that he had told police he was homeless.

We will update this story when we learn more.

The stolen red truck can be seen behind the bait outlet building. (Photo by Steve Southwell)
A police officer with a rifle covered the area where the suspect was barricaded from the armored vehicle. (Photo by Steve Southwell)


  1. Just FYI: There is risk in posting live updates, and updates of specific tactics happening before they are initiated. You are endangering every officers life that is at the incident scene. I hope my comment isn’t deleted or hidden

    • Adam, we were in close communication with the police while this was happening, and we were ensuring that what we were reporting was not a problem.

      • It is a problem. Having approval for something and doing the right thing are two seperate things. Why not wait until the scene is safe and secure to report the incident? Asking for a friend

    • There were other media on-scene, but the situation was over before most probably heard about it. At least two TV reporters or stringers were there.

Comments are closed.