The young driver of a pickup truck punched a hole into the Taco Hut on the corner of Bellaire Blvd. and 121 Business yesterday afternoon. (Images courtesy Ozkan Ozturk.)

The roadways in and around Lewisville were hampered yesterday afternoon Nov. 8 by a string of one-vehicle accidents.

In Carrollton, an 18-wheeler jackknifed across the I-35E northbound tollway lanes and part of the free highway, straddling the concrete barrier between the two and severely delaying traffic coming home from Dallas. In Lewisville, a 16-year-old driver lost control of his pickup truck and drove into the Taco Hut on the corner of Bellaire and 121 Business, and a few hours later, a trailer driver knocked out the utility pole on the corner of Fox Avenue and the El Rancho Supermercado parking lot, leaving the street closed into the wee hours of the morning as Texas New Mexico Power workers addressed the issue.

LPD captain Dan Rochelle said the call on the Taco Hut wreck came in at 3:57 p.m. According to the incident report, the was making a left turn from 121 Business onto Bellaire Blvd. at an unsafe speed and lost control of the vehicle. The truck fishtailed and went over the curb and through the south wall of Taco Hut, punched a hole in the south side of the building. No one was harmed in the incident. According to the incident report, the driver was charged with driving at an unsafe speed and violating a driver’s license restriction.

Image courtesy Ozkan Ozturk.

Fortunately for hungry Lewisville Texans, the Taco Hut remained up and running. Manager Max Singh said the primary damage, other than to the wall, was to the fresh shipment of beer being stored just behind it. Wednesday is the day Taco Hut receives its shipments, so Singh said the store may run a bit short for the week. 

Owner Ozkan Ozturk said they are still assessing the damage to the building.

Three hours later at 7:03 p.m., Rochelle said a trailer turning onto Fox Ave. out of the alleyway behind Taqueria Guadelajara and hit the utility pole on the western corner of the intersection. Rochelle said the driver was not intoxicated.

With the utility pole felled, the surrounding area of Fox Ave. was closed until 4:23 a.m. while Texas New Mexico Power workers made repairs. Spokesman Eric Paul said the pole itself was broken, and had to be replaced entirely. The scope of the repair combined with the precautions workers took working in the dark contributed to the lengthy closure. Paul said that only three customers lost power for an extended period of time, though others may have lost power intermittently.